Our LAMP scripture memory program is based strongly on the SWORD Bible Memory program that was developed at Covenant Fellowship Church in Glen Mills, PA. The passages used in LAMP are the same passages used in the SWORD program.
Each Bible passage is broken out into three levels:
- Basic – one verse / month. Suggested for preschoolers, the Basic level verse is what will be taught for memory work in our preschool class. In the listing below and in our verse books, the Basic level verses are shown in RED.
- Intermediate – between two and four additional verses / month. Suggested for grades 1-3, the Intermediate level verses are what will be taught in our 1-3 grades class. In the listing below and in our verse books, the Intermediate level verses would include both the RED and GREEN verses.
- Advanced – up to eight additional verses / month. Suggested for grades 4-adult, the entire Bible passage (between six and nine verses, shown in all three colors: RED, GREEN, and BLUE) is what will be taught in our 4-6 grades class.
Children as young as age three can begin memorizing the Basic level. As your child gets older, additional verses are added to form a passage. Eventually, when the Advanced level is complete, your child will have memorized a Bible passage 6-9 verses long. The fun part is having your whole family memorizing the same passage together. You may have your preschooler doing one verse, your 3rd grade student doing three, and you and your older children memorizing six to nine verses each month, with the whole family memorizing verses from the same passage!
Children will be given an opportunity to recite scripture verses they have memorized to a Children’s Ministry worker. As each verse is recited, the Children’s Ministry worker will initial that verse in the booklet. When a given level has been completely recited, a Children’s Ministry worker will sign that section of the child’s booklet.
Who it’s for
If Bible memorization intimidates you, you are not alone. Bible memorization does not need to be difficult. In fact, it can be a lot of fun. Having God’s Word available to share from memory is an invaluable asset when encouraging others. This program is designed to get the whole family involved together, from three year-olds and up, memorizing scriptures that are a part of the same passage. If you keep at it, you and your family will begin to make God’s Word a part of everyday living.
At the start of the school year, children in the Children’s Ministry classes receive a book of memory verses to use for the year. Each month’s verses are printed out with blanks so that leaders can initial the verses as a child recites verses from memory. The passages are color-coded as described above and look similar to this example from Book 2.
9. Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
10. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11. Give us this day our daily bread,
12. and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13. and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”
14. For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,
15. But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
LAMP Bible Memory book
Here is the LAMP Bible Memory book for the 2017-2018 school year: cm-LampBibleMemory-2017-2018-Book1.pdf